Fast forward to our last day in Russia- going to the SVO airport. If you've been following, you probably already know, but we didn't have a zone on our tickets that allowed us to get our seat assignments before gate check in. This meant we possibly could have been bumped to another flight on a different day, or been given seats that were not together. Well, maybe thanks to Aunt Nancy calling the Delta agents for us, or maybe all the prayer, but we got on that flight....seated together! We had a really smooth flight coming in- I don't know how, but it seemed to be the easiest of all the plane rides- maybe it was the emotion and excitement carrying me through each hour. Landon slept two different times- only 1/2 hour the first time, and about 40 min. the next. During both naps, I listed to my MP3 player which got me crying- just listening to the Christmas songs playing while I had my son's head in my lap on our way home on Christmas Eve (while thinking...this is really happening!) couldn't have made me any happier! Landon only had a couple of meltdowns, and they didn't last but for 2-3 minutes a piece...not bad for 10 1/2 hours in the air, 40 minute mandatory de-icing of the plane before taking, almost 3 hours in the airport prior to boarding, and a 1 1/2 hour car ride to the airport! The poor boy had a long day...and so did we! But, when we landed, and were heading through customs, our emotions continued to carry us. We were so excited to see our family through the doors! (PS- I do want to mention- we met a great couple on our plane who was bringing home their 16 month old son too- Noah and Landon got to play together for a little while on the plane- SO cute!!)
I caught site of my sister, Aunt Sue first! She was standing up on a metal railing waving at us! I think I almost ran the stroller through the double doors I was so excited!! We were HERE...in America, with our boy! A new US citizen! We had a great 15 minute reunion with the family in the airport, and then got in the car again for about a 2 hour ride home.
Once we were home, Landon got to meet his big sister, Dakota. Dakota couldn't be better with him- in just the past 24 hours, she has endured being poked in the eyes, having some toys flying in her direction, and a hand in her food bowl! She handled it all with such nurturing gentleness! She even lays next to Landon's crib at times, and is just being a great big sister! Landon is still a little unsure of Dakota- he has given her treats, pet her, and all...but sometimes we see him back away- like he's not quite sure of her. I'm sure in the next few days that will pass. :)
We had a good amount of family cycle in and out today- it was Christmas and we know that the grandparents and aunts and uncles wanted to meet and spend some time with Landon. He did great with everyone! We tried to keep the visits to around an hour each, and only have 4 over at a time. Landon seems to be adjusting rather well...I'll tell you what- our house is much better for him than a hotel room! I think that we have less meltdowns because he actually has things to do here! YEAH!
Landon's 1st Christmas in America started out at 3:15 AM today which was after 7 hours of sleep- so he was definitely still on Moscow time...so were we! Waking up that early wasn't that bad for us either. We got to enjoy about 5 hours of time, the 3 of us, getting used to the house, and getting settled in from traveling. Greg surprised me and had wonderful friends of ours put in a new tub, new dry wall and paint in our bathroom- a much needed improvement in our home- we have wanted to do for a while! We LOVE it!! ...and so does Landon! :) Since there was some construction in our home while we were away, there was that famous layer of white powder everywhere- so I decided to vacuum. Who would have known that would be such a great adventure! He took the attachment in his hand, and helped me the whole time! I mean...WE vacuumed for almost 45 minutes straight...the whole house! And, he was great the whole time! It was adorable!
Landon didn't know how to open presents, so Dakota volunteered happily to show him. She opens presents better than any dog I know- after just 1 lesson, Landon tried opening one just like his sister- with his teeth! lol! It was too cute! As the day went on, he got better and better at opening gifts. He loves all the new things he has to play with! I'll try to upload just a few pictures...and then I need to get to bed!
Well, it sounds like we may have the day mostly to ourselves tomorrow, which will be nice. We apparantly brought the snow AND Landon back from Russia with us!
Greeting our awaiting family in the airport!
I think Landon was happy to be going home, too!!
Landon giving Dakota a treat!
Who would've guessed that sunglesses would be the big hit? :)
Merry Christmas to everyone!!!
Love, Greg, Liz, Landon, & Dakota!!!







Merry Christmas Mommy!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! What a great Christmas present, to be home with your son for Christmas! He is a doll!
ReplyDeleteWell .... This was a Christmas that's going to hard to beat! I mean, how often do you get to drive to NY with your family to pick up your first grandson - just adopted from Russia - on Christmas Eve? It was God Himself making sure we got the best gift in His son, Jesus -- Then providing the Jacksons and Goodrows (Alan, Barbara .. Gary, Sharon) their first grandchild!!! We couldn't have received a better Christmas present!
ReplyDeleteWhat a journey this whole family has been on this year! We want to thank each of you for your support, prayers, and love .... Don't stop now! >> Make sure you remain part of this journey, come along for the ride as we endeavor to see Landon grow up; praying that he will accept Christ early in his life.
God bless you all! Merry Christmas!
Love, GrandPop, Nana .. and Susan
Jer. 29:11
I HAVE TEARS IN MY EYES!!!!!!!! Omg, I feel like I just watched a lifetime movie! I can FEEL all your emotion reading this! I'm just imagining how you felt with Landon asleep on your lap on the plane, knowing you are going HOME with him! I love looking at the pictures of you two with him! It's like you were always meant to be in each others lives! What an incredible day(s) it has been!! I'm extremely happy for you! I really can't describe it! I love you girl!!! xoxo
ReplyDeleteSo happy to see everything worked out with your flights and you made it home for Christmas!! What a dream come true!
ReplyDeleteLoved this update! I am so glad you guys are beginning the adjustment back home. Thankful for answered prayers!
ReplyDelete