We welcome you to follow along as we enjoy our life home with our sons!













Friday, February 4, 2011

CHOP Visit Update

Yes, I know- 3rd post in a day. I can't sleep, so I thought I'd catch everyone up. :)

Overall, our visit to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia's International Adoption Clinic went really well. We were able to meet the Dr. that did all of Landon's medical evaluations from the reports we initially received with our referral. He is doing great given his history...in my opinion (as biased as it may be) anyway.

Gross motor skills: 22-24 months (he is 25 months old, in case you were wondering) :0)
Fine motor skills: 18-20 months...not bad, especially since some of the things they tried to get him to do, I know he can! He was just really distracted with the room...all the new equipment to play with, and a new bag of toys!
Speech: They didn't give us a month-month range on this one- they said he is delayed, but that is to be expected now during this language transition. So, we need to take him back in 3 months to see how many words he knows then. If he is still struggling, then we can have an early interventionist come out to our house.
**Sidenote here: I am SO excited to report that our boy can point to over 30 different pictures in a First 100 Words books we have here! And, he follows all of our commands (unless he thinks there is something more fun to do....haha). And, he does try to say many words. They aren't enunciated properly...but that will come. Maybe one of these days I will catch him saying, "Dakota Dakota" on video...it's hilarious! I can do a pretty good imitation, but I'll spare you. ;)

After our medical/speech/occupational evals, we were sent down  to the 3rd floor for a chest x-ray (previous thymus issue...confirmed gone! yeah!), and then down to the 2nd floor for bloodwork- 8 viles! boo!. The lady told us that only one parent could come in with him. I really wanted to be there to hold my boy and to comfort him, but I also know how strong he is, and I knew Greg would be the one best suited to hold him still if he started to "wiggle."  I nervously waited in the waiting room, listening as closely as I could to see if I could here, "Good job!" or "Wow! He's doing great" - those were the things I was praying I'd hear. But, then...yes, you guessed it- the blood curtling scream! I couldn't take it. Everything inside me wanted to run into that room. My eyes started burning with tears, and I had this horrible tightness in my chest. I kept thinking, my baby is hurting, and I can't help him! It was awful. Thank God, 2 minutes later, Greg walked out, with Landon in arms, and said, "We did great, Mommy!" (did he think I didn't hear? was he trying to make me feel better? was he trying to convince Landon? who knows), followed by...."Better than you usually do!" followed by fellow waiting room residents chuckling at my expense- thanks, hun! ...and off we went! Phew! Finally! 2 hours later, we were going home!

Anyway, the reports are all in- bloodwork was all good....except a deficiency in Vitamin D. Given the fact that we heard Landon wasn't given milk, we weren't surprised. He has finally warmed up to whole milk, and we are also giving him supplements. We also have a lot of vaccinations to catch him up on....ah, the big choice- how many to give him next Wednesday when we go back to the pediatrician...I've said this more than once in the past month: "I wish there was an answer key!"  Well, close enough, we have our moms to ask. ;)

We do also have to take him for 2 more blood tests...one in 3 weeks, and one in 5 weeks. (just follow up checks on his levels and possible late appearing viruses) Poor guy!!!

All in all, clean bill of health! Thank you, Lord!

Up next on the blogging agenda...1st visit to the dentist and 1st haircut! ...and since tomorrow will be our first night out, first babysitting experience... thank goodnesss for good aunts!

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your night out!! I wouldn't do more than 2 or 3 shots at one visit. . .it's very traumatic for them. Aidan is up to date now and only gets shots at his annual well baby/child check up, but anytime we go to the pediatrician his first question is "Am I getting a shot??" It's awful!! And the blood work. . .give Landon a treat and some huge hugs for that!! Poor kiddo!! I cried horrible tears every time we had to take Aidan for blood work. . .

    Regarding time. . .yes, it's amazing isn't it?? The minute the kiddo is in your life time speeds up to Mach speed!! Enjoy every moment you get with you son, especially those sitting on your lap moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the updates! Pictures are priceless from your 1st visit...thank you for sharing! So glad to hear that he did good at CHOP and the doctors were pleased! His speech will come...we too have the 100 word book and we go over and over it almost every night. It took our Matthew almost 9 months after we came home to really start talking and now he never stops! His vocabulary has just exploded and he is using 3 and 4 words in a sentence which just amazes us! Have a fun 1st night out....if you are like us...you will probably think and talk about your little boy the WHOLE entire time you are out!! :) It's almost times for the Phillies...can't wait to see Landon at his 1st game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad CHOP visit went well.!!!!! Yeah! Praise the Lord! Loved your first visit pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog! Landon is adorable! I see you went to CHOP, so did we! I was curious if you lived in the area. If you would like, email me at jwunderly@verizon.net

    Congratulations on your son!

    ReplyDelete

NOTE: Click on the time under each post to leave a comment!