We welcome you to follow along as we enjoy our life home with our sons!













Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Year Ago Today...

It’s been a while since I’ve written an emotional post…so grab a tissue, and a cup of coffee too…this one’s gonna be a long one!


January 19, 2010 was a memorable day for us. We decided on this date, after much prayer, to select Russia as the country we were going to adopt from. (You can go back and look at our beginning posts to see how we “decided” Russia if you really want to know the details!) We were so excited to be able to take a huge step forward in our journey to parenthood.

January 19, 2010 was also a memorable day for our son, but not in nearly the same exciting way. On this day, a year ago, our son was brought to the orphanage he lived in until we were able to bring him home with us almost a year later (coincidence with that timing? I think NOT! …according to Jer. 29:11!). On this day, our son was not feeling excited…in fact, I don’t know what he was feeling for sure, but I do know, it probably included feeling scared, anxious, and confused. I can’t even imagine how any of the 1 year olds I know would react if they were taken from the only home and family they knew, and placed in a new setting where no one held them close or spoke loving, assuring words to them. In fact, the very act of me sitting here trying to picture how that day played out for him, and how he must have felt, is giving me a perspective I should already have had, and one I need…deep empathy and compassion for my boy…and a heavy burden for all the other babies and children who are still living without families.

As I sit here today, pondering January 19, 2010, I am no longer thinking of the start of our adoption process, I am thinking of the start of a life our boy began in an orphanage, away from anything familiar to him. Looking back, one of the things I think that we did right during that time was pray for Landon…we didn’t know who he was, or if our child going to be a girl or a boy, but we prayed for “our child’s” health…mentally, emotionally, and physically. We prayed that even though we couldn’t be with him during those times, that he would feel our love, and most importantly, God’s love for him. As I think about this, I also can’t help but think, Why? Why couldn’t God have just spared him the pain in his early life and just sent him directly to us? We will never know, but, maybe, just maybe, it is so that we all can learn to appreciate the family we have, and to pray for and to help those who are without someone to love them. I know I will never think of orphans or adoption the same as I do now….a year ago today. So much has changed in just a year…and so much is still changing, and I don’t mean in our lives here at home, I mean in my heart.

Speaking of change, we have now turned the calendar page to January 19, 2011. Now this date brings joy to my heart, and a smile to my face. This date marks 1 month (30 days to be exact) since Landon has NOT lived in an orphanage. And, wow, what a difference a month can make! I immediately picture Landon babbling loudly as he runs from one room in our house to the next, calling for Dakota, or Greg, or I, and just having the chance to be a normal 2 year old! I picture his little lips pursed together, chin out, looking for a kiss. I picture Landon running as fast as he can into his daddy’s arms to hug him…or tackle him as they love to do to each other. And, I think how fast he has learned to understand English- holy cow! There isn’t a command I have said to the boy that I don’t think he has followed… “put your jammies in the hamper,” “let’s put your stool back,” “give Dakota a kiss,” and the list could go on and on! And, I think of the tantrums he has when being told “NO.” Yes, this adorable boy can throw a tantrum! And, from what I have heard, it is a typical 2 year old “thing.”

Speaking of those tantrums, however, I have to admit, they tend to make me frustrated, and even mad at times. I go from feeling stubborn (I’m not going to give in, and give him what he wants!) to guilty (how could I be frustrated so soon? How long have I prayed for this child?!?) to helpless (God, help!). I pray that I remember how much change Landon has gone through in less than a year the next time he is kicking and screaming, and hitting (yes, hitting) me. I pray that I don’t feel angry, but that I feel love. I want to be a mom who disciplines with love in her heart, not anger. A childhood song comes to mind here…”He’s Still Working on Me” I remember vividly sitting in Kindergarten behind my teacher, at the piano bench, singing the words, “He’s Still Working on Me, to make me what I ought to be. It took Him just a week to make the moon and the stars, the sun and the earth, and Jupiter and Mars. How loving and patient He must be, He’s still working on me.” Thank you, Lord, for being so patient with me, and for teaching me how you must feel at times when I reject what You are telling me to do. And, thank you, Lord, that the tantrums seem to be less and less frequent!

I know I just wrote a book here in this one post alone, but I needed that…I needed to look back. Sometimes it is good to look back, to see where you’ve (or your child’s) been, and to realize how far you’ve (or they’ve) come…it helps give you the persistence and patience to keep on keeping on!

We are off to CHOP today! I am praying our next post has some good results to share!

 
January 19, 2010 - Database Picture
 
 
January 19, 2011

6 comments:

  1. Landon was absolutely meant for you guys...that is truely amazing and definately a date that will always be close to your heart! Regarding the tantrums and the hitting (yes, we also have a hitting thing going on in our house) I hope that it is totally normal to get frustrated because I too get frustrated!! I am glad to know I am not alone. Thank you so much for sharing your story and your special date....what a blessing this sweet boy is! Can't wait to see him all dressed up in his Phillies stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say how much I appreciated this post. I found your blog while we were making our decision to adopt from Russia and your story has been an encouragement to my husband and I. "The plans I have for you..." theme is one that has been brought back to us again and again as we've traveled along on our journey to start a family. We were accepted by our agency a month ago and are just starting the home study process. We've enjoyed reading about your little boy since he has been home. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!! Isn't it awesome to know that God knows what He's doing and has everything planned out?!?

    P.S. He almost looks like he's wearing the same outfit in those pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz, Thank you for your post! I think it is such a testimony to the incredible heart of God as well as a reminder that we need to be in prayer for all these children. Looking forward to hearing good news after your CHOP visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to look back. To remember. And to reflect on all that has happened. It is always an essential help when we turn back to looking forward!

    One thing to ask your doctors about is the BCG vaccine that nearly all European babies get. . .it could make a patch skin TB test come back positive so you need to be prepared for the more extensive blood test. We had to do that! Fortunately, our IA doctor was heading up a study at the time at Georgetown Hospital and Aidan was taken as one of the case studies. . .

    God Bless and Landon is looking sooooo adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! GrandPop is speechless again! It's amazing how God has planned each detail (Jer. 29:11). While we were waiting, HE was preparing a masterpiece - showing us one piece at a time. Though in our hearts we had questioned the process - still He was faithful to us. Reminds me of that great song: "He's Been Faithful to Me" ....
    Being the "stats" guy, I enjoyed trying to figure out the 'puzzle' that was forming. I look forward to sharing this history with Landon while he grows up. To have traveled with family to pick them up in NY, and see Landon's first view of America .. On Christmas Eve! ... was something I will treasure for a lifetime.
    Again we say, "Welcome home, Landon!"
    All my love, GrandPop

    ReplyDelete

NOTE: Click on the time under each post to leave a comment!