We welcome you to follow along as we enjoy our life home with our sons!













Friday, February 12, 2010

Filling You in on the Details that got us here....

As some of you may or may not know, we have been trying to add to our family for over 3 years now. And, while, at times, the road has been tough, we have a peace that this path is leading us to a child God had in mind for us all along.

After two failed IUI’s, 1 failed IVF attempt followed by a short-lived successful frozen transfer, we decided to put the brakes on the medical route. We spent six months praying hard about where God was leading us- to further our medical efforts? We weren’t sure. I can’t remember exactly when we started opening our hearts towards adoption. I will never forget something a close friend said to me- You know, adoption isn’t ever God’s back- up plan, rather God’s original plan. Which brings me back to the verse Greg and I adopted (no pun intended) years ago when we were engaged. Jeremiah 29:11: “ For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  Now that you have the background, here is a little timeline to update you on our recent adoption "news."


November 2009- Began requesting adoption information from a few Christian agencies


December 29, 2009- Called the Dr’s office to see what we would need to do to start IVF process back up for mid-summer. After calling that morning, was urged internally to pray about what to do. A few hours later, I received a call from Bethany Christian Services asking if we had received their packet, and to let us know about an upcoming meeting on 1/5. Talk about an immediate and direct answer to prayer.


January 5, 2010- Attended Informational meeting with Bethany Christian Services


January 5, 2010- Submitted Pre-Application


January 11, 2010- Found out we were approved for Russia and Colombia (Why only those two? Many countries have age minimum for adoptive parents, only have children older than 2 available (we are requesting < 2 yrs.), or wait times were excessive)


Mid January- Decided on Russia (Colombia trip required is 6-8 weeks…long time to be away from our jobs, and wait time for referral 2-4 yrs). Russia: 2 trips required- 1st trip 5-7 days, 2nd trip- 3-4 weeks…much more doable. 12-18 months for whole process!!! Much shorter wait! ….much higher in price though…God will provide!


January 19, 2010 – Submitted Formal Application thru Bethany…reading up on many adoption blogs, and getting more and more excited!!!


Early February- We had planned on still doing another round of IVF in July…but should we? When we were originally thinking of the 2-4 year wait some countries had, trying again was an easy choice. But, now that we could be travelling so “soon,” maybe we should just wait on the IVF. After reading some other blogs, learned that those who do get pregnant in the meantime have to pay to update all their paperwork, and there is still a strong chance Russian Embassy could deny referrals to you because it is not in the best interest of the child to enter a family amidst a new child entering home biologically. Praying about this…


February 5, 2010- Found out our application is accepted. We are awaiting a call from Janet @ BCS to set up an apt. to get our Home Study paperwork, and to begin the paper chase. This part of the process is referred to as being “paper pregnant!” Now I know why….the two week wait for approval of application was very similar to other two week waits we have endured. ;)   ...and the next 9-12? months will be like a pregnancy....okay, a little longer. :)


February 9, 2010- We set up a meeting with Janet from BCS to go over Home Study paperwork on Feb. 17th at 9AM. YEAH!

I am going to try to update this blog as a means of keeping our family and friends in "the loop" without having to make a lot of phone calls. It is also a way of journaling, so we can remember every miracle along the way.

Thank you for reading along, and we ask for your prayers. I am positive we will be needing them over this next year (or more).

Love,
Liz

11 comments:

  1. Very exciting!!! Oh and by the way if you ever get tired of teaching I think you could become a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried IVF several times. . .long, long story with a lot of heartache attached.

    We've been home 22 months with our son who was born in Krasnoyarsk, Russia. We, too, went through Bethany. Loved them, loved the experience, and am sooo totally in love with my son! Needless to say, it was totally worth the wait and papaerwork.

    God Bless and good luck. We'll keep you in uour prayers.
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz & Greg,
    I admire your passion, strength and courage. You are the most deserving people I know to raise a family! You and your little one will be in my prayers. Continue to support each other and stay positive! I look forward to sharing this experience with you through this blog. It's a wonderful idea! Lots of love, Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for blogging about this experience! We are praying for you two (three!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I read your wonderful, heartfelt writing, I'm crying tears of joy....Faithful prayer warrior here, on my knees for your family!xoDeb Lobe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Greg and Liz,
    I will be sure to keep you in my prayers as you go through this experience. I have always thought that the two of you will be wonderful parents - so, this new little addition - who is sure to be a true blessing to you and your family - is also a very very blessed child. He or she will be getting the best possible home in the world!!! Your strong faith, the way you trust the Lord, and support each other is outstanding! Thank you for letting us know your plans.
    Lots of love,
    Aunt Joan and Uncle Harry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your encouraging comments! I can not begin to tell you how much they mean to us! I will be updating hopefully on Monday- just waiting for my bloodwork to come back so that I can mail out our completed HomeStudy packet. Thank you again!
    Love,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. How thrilled we are to know we will be grandparents - God's timing is perfect! We are praying fervently for you both and for that special little one that our Savior knows is the one for you.
    Love, Mom Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Officer of the year. Teacher of the year. Next up... Parents of the year! Praying for you.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so in our prayers so often. We love you so much. Lean on Him.
    Kim Clark for the Clark Clan

    ReplyDelete

NOTE: Click on the time under each post to leave a comment!